Fort Regent

Although it had been suggested as early as the mid-16th century that the growing town of St Helier should move to the top of the dominating hill (Mont de la Ville) on the basis that it would be easier to defend, no major defensive works were undertaken for another 250 years other than earth defence embankments and ditches, and two redoubts sited on South Hill (adjacent to Mont de le Ville) to defend the new harbour. After the threat of invasion was exposed by the French attempt in 1781, and then by what was considered to be the greater threat from Napoleon, construction of the Fort named in honour of the George, Prince of Wales and  Prince Regent during his father’s illness, was started in 1806 and finished in 1814.

Constructed according to the latest military engineering designs to defend against an enemy armed with the latest artillery, Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo consigned Fort Regent to a peaceful life, and it never fired a shot in anger other than from some German anti-aircraft batteries sited there which fired at Allied aircraft in WW2.

Sitting above the Town, it is now often forgotten as the pinnacle of pre-20th century fortification, and nowadays it is better known for the signal station (which is a remnant of her military past) advising the population of shipping movements and upcoming storms, or as a leisure centre.